Saturday, September 29, 2012

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?

Yesterday, I woke up on a hill. It was cold, but I wasn't feeling cold. Everything around me was grey- The tree, the grass, the sky, the dirt, the stones. I was old, but I felt young.
Was I living in the post apocalypse era?
I was at the edge of the highest peak around. There was only one lonesome tree standing with me.
The breeze was blissful. The song 'Somewhere Only We Know' by Keane was echoing throughout the valley.
That made me smile. I knew what it was trying to tell me.

My phone's alarm broke the serenity. I looked at it and realised it was time to go back home.
There I started my perilous journey down hill. There was no pathway. It was simply a steep deathly jump to the ground. But I found my way around next to an incredibly beautiful, but grey waterfall. This path was also not an easy path. It had the deceptive flimsy semi solid stones everywhere, which meant no reliable support. There were times I had to jump from one end of the waterfall to the other only to avoid the thorn plantations and the poison ivy.

How did I get to the top in the first place?

I had no memory of anything.

I made it half way to the bottom. The hill reached a narrow plateau which allowed me to sit  and catch my breath while I enjoyed the view. I was wet, dirty and cold, even though I didn't feel wet, dirty or cold.

The sound of a car coming my way broke my reverie. I looked to my left and noticed a beautiful black sedan with my cousin brother, Sahil, driving it. Strangely, my cousin brother doesn't know how to drive
a car. And neither did he ever wear spectacles. Why was he wearing spectacles?

We smiled at each other. By the time he got closer I noticed my other cousin brother, Sajeel, sitting in the backseat along with my mother. They were all smiling and waving at me.

I don't remember what happened next.
An intelligent person would have sat with them in the car. But I don't think I did, and I can't recollect why. There is a blackout in my mind between the period of me spotting them, and me continuing my way further downhill.

Hmm...

I reached another plateau. I decided to take a walk around the hill. Everything was still, everything was grey.

In the distance I saw a boy jogging towards me. A boy with tied up dread locks in a textured white t shirt, khakis and a pair of black and white Converse shoes.
It was one of my juniours from college.
As if nothing was unusual about this situation, we both smiled and waved at each other and went our own ways.

There was another black out.

It was yesterday, and I woke up on a hill. It was cold, but I wasn't feeling cold. Everything around me was grey- The tree, the grass, the sky, the dirt, the stones. The song 'Somewhere Only We Know' by Keane echoed throughout the valley.

I smiled because because I knew what it was trying to tell me.





No comments:

Post a Comment